Friday, August 24, 2012

Number 29, Eat at Donner Pass

This one was on my original list but I had to abbreviate it a little.  This one was to eat a sandwich at Donner Pass.  Cold cuts was what I was thinking.  On our trip to CA we stayed the night in Reno and unfortunately ate a buffet breakfast.  Donner Pass is like an hour out of Reno so there what no way I could eat a sandwich.  We stopped and I bit Danielle and had to be happy with that.   I feel a little bad about the irreverence of this 40 for 40 but it is funny.  The reason I feel bad is I have never been there and didn't really understand how horrible that would have been.  The Sierra Nevadas are a huge mountain range that as soon as you think you are out of them another range appears.  It is literally up and down.  I have a new respect for the Donner Party as well as any of the early pioneers and 49ers that went across the Sierra Nevadas.   Then when I taught 8th grade history we also covered the subject of the Chinese building the Railroad through the mountains and again a huge respect for that feat of building the railroad from Sacramento to Promontory Point.  The Irish really had it easy coming from Omaha.   Check off Number 29......Donner Pass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment